Bed of Roses Cake (17 July 2010)




Happy Birthday To Our BEST Sister

Specially baked this big cake for my dearest sister's birthday celebration.
Life may not be a bed of roses but I hope our sister's life will be as beautiful as roses! Sis, we all love you sooooooo much! ^_^

Orange sponge cake with mango fillings, decorated with fresh cream.
I baked this orange sponge cake using the bain marie method. This is the 1st time I tried this method & the cake is very soft but it has a dense texture.

My 3rd sis-in-law commented the cake tastes like cheesecake. Come to think of it, Japanese cheesecakes use bain marie method for the soft texture. So indeed this cake do taste a bit like cheesecake. My hubby said the texture is like those sara lee cakes. I also agreed with his saying.. My youngest brother & sis-in-law commented the cake is very rich. Totally agreed as the cake is more to the dense side, so the texture is richer. My sister told me she loves this orange flavour cake! ^_^

The reason why I baked an orange sponge cake is because my parents have a bottle of Sunquick & they asked me to make something out of it. Why fresh mango cubes are added? Because my dad keeps giving me very big & sweet mangoes. And he always say.. use it to make some cakes or desserts! ^_^

1st attempt to pipe roses with fresh cream. In fact, I am only satisfied with 2 of the roses. The rest I don't like. It is really not easy to pipe roses with fresh cream, especially with Singapore hot weather. Very challenging. Using buttercream to pipe roses will be much more easier to handle.

My hubby asked me a question after I finished decorating the cake - isn't the fresh cream too much for the cake? Will it be too creamy? My mind went hmmmmm....

During the birthday celebration, my sister asked me a question when she saw the cake - the cake is so big, how to finish? My mind went hmmmmmmm... again...

In the end.. the whole cake is finished up, as well as the fresh cream! Everyone say the cake is big but no one complain too much cream. Everyone finished their own big slice of cake (because everyone restraint from eating too much for dinner in order to eat the cake). My adorable young niece have too much for dinner and couldn't finish her big slice of cake BUT she ate up all the roses & fresh cream.. Haha.. I should have taken a photo of her leftover sponge cake without the cream! Forgot about it! She simply love the roses & the fresh cream ^_^

My mom-in-law, my hubby & my sister like this orange cake (the rest I didn't ask and they never feedback.. but everyone finished their cakes.. Hee..). All 3 of them like the flavour & texture. But not everyone likes this orange flavour cake (My 3rd sis-in-law who always like my bakes, don't like this orange flavour cake. In fact, me too! I like the cake soft texture but I don't like the Sunquick flavour). But since still got supporters for this cake, I shall bake a few pans of this cake so that I can clear the bottle of Sunquick I have at home ;p








This cake attracted a lot of attention during the celebration. My family members are busy taking photos of the cake in different angles, especially taking the close-up photos of the roses. My sister has to wait for the photo-taking session to be over, before she can start her cake cutting ^_^

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...