Baked Taro Flaky Mooncakes (18 Sep 10)




中秋节快乐

Baked version instead of deep-fry. For a healthier diet since mooncakes are already so fattening ;p

This is my 1st attempt on the making of taro flaky mooncakes. I always feel that it is a big challenge to make this kind of pastry, especially to make this kind of swirl design. Hence I never wanted to try out till now, where I suddenly have the motivation to try out this recipe!

I have frustrated moments when making the swirl design on the dough. The instruction given in the recipe is totally not logical & incorrect. The 1st step given is already wrong & there is no way for me to undo the 1st step (which I have followed). Actually planned to redo the doughs all over again but somehow, a part of me refused to raise white flag & waste the existing dough. Hence I try to figure out how to make the swirl design with the existing "damage" dough, using my own way, my own method & my own understanding.

I made & baked 1 mooncake to test out the swirl effect after baking. Surprisingly, it turned out with a nice swirl design & the mooncake skin is really flaky & crispy. My hubby was so surprised when I showed him the baked mooncake as he didn't expect that I can still managed to make such nice swirl effect with the method already done wrongly in the very 1st step. I'm happy with the result & this really boosted up my confidence to continue with the remaining yam paste & dough.

As usual, I have reduced the sugar for the yam paste. I just add the sugar & taste the sweetness while my hubby is busy frying the yam paste. My families commented that the sweetness is just nice.

There are still rooms for improvement on the texture of the yam paste. I didn't do a good job during the steaming session for the yam. The paste is not smooth enough but for the taste wise is okay with sweetness just nice.

I made a total of 22 mini flaky mooncakes + 1 super mini baby flaky mooncake which I find it super cute! Hahaaa.

Special thanks to my hubby who helped me with the frying of the yam paste, else I don't think I will ever want to try making these taro flaky mooncakes. Frying of paste (any paste), usually needs a lot of energy. So I always seek help from hubby on the frying part & if he is okay, then I will start my "engine" to plan for the baking session ^_^





The happy taro flaky mooncake family.. see the baby taro flaky mooncake very cute right? ^_^


A tiny bite on the super mini taro flaky mooncake by my nephew.. Ouch!


By the way, I have ate 2 pieces of these mooncakes (1 piece after freshly baked on 18 Sep & 1 piece after chilled on 20 Sep. Personally I prefer to eat it when chilled. The skin is still hard and didn't turn soft. But of course, it is no longer crispy. The yam paste cold cold one is nice ^_^

2 comments:

tracy said...

u reuse existing mooncake boxes ah? :) hee.. looks very familiar..like frm ncs.. :P

ur mooncake looks very pro!! how is the bake version differnt frm fried version?? i dun tink i eat bake ones b4..

Adeline Tan said...

Tracy, yes I re-used the mooncake boxes.. Hee.. Asked my colleagues to help clear the mooncakes given by vendors & I took back the boxes. Just nice for my taro flaky mooncakes ^_^

My sis-in-law thought I bought the mooncakes (coz of the box) when I asked her to try.. Haha..

I think baked & deep-fry ones about the same.. but baked ones less oily bah. The skin is very crispy when freshly baked.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...